Monday, March 24, 2008

Work

Well I finally figured out where I will be working for the next three weeks. Both my co-teachers called my yesterday. I was wondering if they were going to get in contact with me at all. I was supposed to meet them last week, and they never showed. Then they were supposed to call me on the weekend. Yeah that didn't happen. At 4:30 yesterday they both called. I am working at 2 schools. I don't know my schedule. All I know is that I am working at one of the schools on Wednesday and Thursday. That much one of my co-teachers informed me of. That and that her mother is going to pick me up to drop me off at the bus stop. I could walk. I would prefer to walk. That is just going to be a whole lot of awkward.
Today I was picked up at 7:30. I haven't been up at 7:30 since I have been here. That was rough. Especially rough given the fact that my main center had a party yesterday. Lots of free food and drinks. You can't say no to that. That and Koreans forcing you to drink. So first day of work and I am hungover. Not fun times, kids. Good thing I can whip up a class with little or no warning. I didnt' have time to lesson plan. I wasn't even sure I would be teaching today. I found that out when I got to work. Introductory lesson here I come. I will have to talk about myself for 45 minutes several different times today. That and getting to know my students. Students that i will only have for 3 weeks. Maybe once a week.

Well I have finished with work for the day. My first class was cancelled. The 3rd grade teacher had a tickle in his/her throat and didn't come in. My second class went swimmingly. The teacher used the time for me to talk about myself. It took up most of the time. I didn't know I was so interesting.
The third class was a bit off. The teacher didn't know how to use me and I ended up taking over his class. He wasn't a very good speaker and thus it hurt his English language classes. The kids just didn't listen to him and they were doodling and talking with eachother instead of paying attention. So I stepped in and layed the smack down. There was no introductions in that class. I didn't even get his name until the end of class. I forgot it already. I really need to start writing these things down.
My last class of the day was fun. The teacher, who also didn't introduce himself, gave me the book and said "this is what you are teaching" I've never seen the book. I've seen him in the halls once or twice today. It would have been nice to have had some time to prepare. But I am a god and did quite well on the fly. I got all the kids moving and interested.
Other than that, pretty good day overall. I have retained my rockstar status. Kids coming up to me and sniffing me, pettting my beard and looking at my ear piercing. They like to talk to me and I have no idea what they are saying. Let the good times roll.

No comments: