Monday, March 17, 2008

Random things

Ok. Here we go. 2 weekends ago, I went to see Jeju United play down in Sogwipo I doubt if I spelt that even remotely close. It was a fun experience. There was a bus that picked us up on my part of the island and we had a full bus. It was free. The tickets were free. I love free. The bus arrived at the stadium and we went and got some beers and sat down to watch the match. Wasn't much of a game. Both teams were a little lacking in the skills department. During halftime another EPIK worker and myself went on a quest to find a scarf or a jersey. Walking around and asking where we can buy one, yeah, they don't sell them at the stadium. Well that didn't deter me. I saw people with them. I wanted one. So I was walking around and I saw this VIP area. I want over and start talking to the guard. Where can I get a scarf. I see a guy with one. "Like that one!" They are not for sale. He looks around, gives me the shoosh. How many do you need? 3. He goes and gets them. I ask him how much, nothing!!! I rock! Persistence and charm, what can I say!



Last weekend was St. Patty's day celebrations. There was an open mike night at a bar called Led Zeppelin. It was good. Way too many whitie in there. Smaller venue, and there were probably 75 foreigners in there. Pain in the ass trying to get a beer. They ran out of mug, and it took something like 15 minutes just to get to the bar. It seemed like the whole bar needed to shift when people moved. I really don't like bars that crowded. From there, moved on to a bar called Angel Sin. Yeah, I know, they have interesting names for bars here. Took me a minute to realize that I have been in this place before. I went there my first night on the island. I have pictures, but not with me. I'll post them later.

Alright weekends are caught up with. Yesterday, my boss came in right before we were about to leave and told us that we would be working in Sogwipo, for the next month. Today, I guess we are meeting with the co-teachers. I'm not even sure they know about this yet. All I know about it is that there are 3 schools. One of us will be working at 2 the other at 1, and it will be 4 days a week. Mondays I will stay in town, and Tuesday-Friday we will travel. They might have been told this morning. The thing I am not too keen on is travel. It is on the bottom of the island. I live on the top. There is a mountain in between. When I travel to my permanent placement it is coastline driving and rather flat. I was asking about being reimbursed for bus fare or gas and they kind of gave me the run around. I will have to talk with the co-teachers about it. Otherwise, work travel is going to seriously cut into my budget. I will write more about this new teaching situation when I find it out.

Quick note. It takes 1 hour 15 minutes for me to walk back to my place from where I am working now.

I am also buying a bike. I was planning on buying a scooter, but as my travel is great and I will need something a bit bigger. I got a call last night, that knows a guy who is leaving next week. He is selling his 125 cc bike for about $400. It is cheaper than I would by a scooter for, so there you go.

No comments: