Monday, March 3, 2008

Work

I think I may have alluded to this in a previous post but I will fill in more information about my work and what I will be doing once I actually start work. I think I just wrote about how far I will be traveling for work.

I'm working for Jeju Foriegn Language Institute, Eastern Section. I guess I am lucky. I will not be working with a co-teacher. I will have my own classes. That is what they are telling me. There is one other foriegner working there. She is also American. We might rotate classes so the students get a variety of classes. We will be getting the cream of the crop. The institutes are for the best students who want to learn English.

The foriegners' job is basically to get them speaking. There are a lot of aids to get them speaking we will be running kids through a simulation area as well as classes. The simulation area is a small mall type area with a resturant, post office, clothing store, airport, and the like. Basically a place to practice real world application of English. This area we are going to have to write scripts for, but the students should be running this section themselves. At least in theory.

From what I can tell I will have longer hours than most of the EPIK (English Program in Korea) teachers. But will have a lot more time off. I have ever Monday class free. It is a prep day.

I'll be teaching the gambit of levels. From high to low. But from what they tell me and from what others have told me, they are all highly motivated students. I am really excited to start teaching again. I'll let you know how it goes once I start teaching again. For the first couple of months, I will be observing the other teachers here at the central center to see what they do and how they do it. Which I like. I like having more ideas for classes.

No comments: