Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ultimate Frisbee



Last weekend was the Gnarley Nines International Ultimate Frisbee Tourney. Jeju entered 3 teams and I was on one of them. There were 27 teams in total. They came from far and wide to participate in this, the 4th annual tournament. There were teams from the US, Korea, Japan, China, Philippines, and I believe Thailand amongst other places. There were 3 divisions and my team was thankfully in the 3rd division. That is the division that is not so competitive and people out for a good time and a little competition.
The tournament was spread out over 2 days. The first day was for rankings for the playoffs. Saturday was a hell day. We played 4 games, 3 games right in a row. Each match lasts to 11 points or a 55 minute cap. Most of our games went to cap. It was a rough couple of games. I think we had one healthy person on our team at the end of the day. Mostly muscle strains and bum knees and the like. I pulled my alkalies tendon. It hurt to run, but I played on. We needed everyone out there and everyone was in pain. Plus when your in a match, pain doesn't bother you.
We ended up winning 2 games and losing 2 games on Saturday. We lost a heart breaker. We were down 5-1 with less than 5 minutes to go and came back and tied the match and losing in a sudden death overtime. The other loss was to another Jeju team, a team we practice with every weekend. We are an evenly matched team. We just couldn't play. The day got windier and windier as the day went on and it was our last game of the day. So on top of being dead tired, we were dealing with gale force winds. We lost that one by 2 points, 2-4.
The next day we won 1 and lost 1 and were knocked out of the playoffs. That sucked. All the games we won during the tournament we handled the other teams. Most ended up 11-2. But the game that knocked us out of the playoffs, we got handled, their girls were good tossers and fast runners. I found out after the game why we got beat so badly. They were a division A team. That is the top division and they were placed in the C division for the playoffs. So they just flat out played us.
So it was a good weekend out. Pretty sweet deal as well. The entrance fee for the tourney was about 50 bucks. With that we got 2 nights in a hotel, 2 nights of food and drinking. Food and Drinking were included, Soju and beer. Lunch at the field as well as more free beer and soju and a free Frisbee. Saturday night they threw a party for us, the theme of the party was scandles. A few people dressed up, but most did not. It is kind of a hard topic for people to dress up as.
Most teams were sponsored as well. We had shirts made, 2 pairs of shorts, a bandanna and socks donated to our team.
Oh yeah I almost forgot on of the best things about the tourney. I got to use my Mongolian. On the way to the fields on Sunday, someone found out that I used to live there and there was a MONGOLIAN guy playing on one of the other teams. A team that we crushed the previous day. So I introduced myself and talked Mongolian for a while. Good guy, fun guy. He was his teams cheerleader. Keeping them laughing and motivated. I have lost some of my Mongol, but I still managed to get by. I was so happy to speak it again. FAN-FRICKIN-TASTIC!!!!!

No comments: