Monday, April 7, 2008

Jeju delicacy

Friday I got a call from my co-teacher asking me if it was ok to stay late. There was a PTA meeting that they wanted me to attend. I was fine with it. It meant free food and drinks. Though it was a bit pointless for me to go, as I am only teaching here for another week. Or so I think. I haven't been well informed on the subject.
It was less of a meeting and more of a dinner party. I guess the parents take the teachers out to eat to get to know them before the real PTA stuff starts. We went to this nice restaurant overlooking the ocean. Beautiful really. I was then informed about the night's fare. Black Pig

Black Pig is a delicacy on Jeju. It might be a delicacy in all of Korea. The Black Pig lives a life, no other animal would like to live. At least that is my thought. Traditionally the black pig is put into outhouses. It lives it's life eating the waste, we poop out and piss out. Then on special occasions, it is hauled up and killed and eaten. Though now thanks to plumbing, it no longer fulfills that duty. I am sure in parts of the countryside it still wallows in the deeps of the outhouse.

It tastes like pork, as it is pork. But there was something else to the flavor. There was a uniqueness to it. I don't know what it is fed now. They could still be feeding it shit. I would have to say that I enjoyed it.

No comments: