Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Parent observation

Last week my co-teacher informed me that the students parents would be watching my classes today. Of course she didn't tell me until it was time to go. She has a tendency to do that. It is not a quality I like in her. Most of the time when she tells me about something, it is right before it is time to go. I've been sitting around in the office, all day with nothing to do. I finish at 12:20 and sit here until 4:30. It doesn't take me all that long to plan for my classes the next day. I usually do that on Mondays anyway. She was stressing out. She called me several times during the week to ask me questions.
I wrote her up a lesson plan and told her to do whatever she liked for it. Take things she liked and get rid of stuff she didn't. That seemed to satisfy her. That is until 4:30 yesterday. Apparently she ran through the lesson with the class and they thought it was to difficult. I was done for work for the day and really did not want to write up another plan. I sent out a quick email to her explaining my new idea. She then proceeded to call me and text me throughout the night. I guess she didnt' really understand what I was trying to do. The kids had a firm grip on the topic. They have been studying the same thing for the past 3 weeks trying to look good for their parents. It was a bit of overkill if you ask me. I would have prefered to teach something new and not rehash the same ole thing just to look good in front of their parents.

But it was all good. I killed that lesson. I rocked the house. I am a god. No, I'm that good. People worship me. I know what I am doing and I am good at it. She got her wish that the parents liked the lesson. The principle was happy. Everyone was happy. My next lesson was also watched. I don't know why that one was. The parents for the 5th grade seemed to enjoy that lesson as well and that one had minimal prep. I would have to say almost no prep. I didn't even know what they were learning until I stepped into the classroom. Which is fine at this school They seem to be a bit behind my other school, so I have covered and planned for these classes already.

No comments: