Sunday, June 29, 2008

Scuba and moving






Well I had my first scuba course yesterday. We were in the water off and on for about 6 hours. Not quite what I expected. We are going through course work right now to become certified. It is an unreal experience breathing under water. I am not used to it yet. It will take some time. I get a bit freaked out and need to calm myself before I go under. When I am under, I use up a bit more oxygen than I should. I am a heavy breather anyway. One of my biggest problems is breathing out of my nose. I have to get used to being a mouth breather. I tend to flood my mask a bit more than I should. Though I now know how to unflood it underwater. Kinda a cool little trick. I would have to say I enjoyed it though. I have a few more classes to go before I am certified though.
We went through some skills that we might need while diving. We had to partially, then fully flood our masks and empty them, we also had to take off our masks for one minute, and put them back on and unflood them underwater. Other things we had to do were signals, switch from a snorkel to the respirator with our faces in the water, use a buddy's spare air respirator underwater for a minute. Clear our respirators of water so we wouldn't choke. That is just some of the skills we did on our first dive. That and setting up and tearing down our gear. Next weekend if the weather is good, we will be going again. Hopefully it will be better than last weekend. It was a bit rough out there for our first lesson.
Moving-I've been asking to move out of my apartment since I have seen it. Last Wednesday, I stayed at a friend's place on the south side of the island and the apartment was quite a bit bigger. The drive to work was shorter. So I asked if I can move down there and I have been given the okay. I am just waiting to hear back when I can move.

No comments: