Monday, June 9, 2008

Horse, Fishes and Busan

Thursday, I went out with a couple of my friends for a feast of horse. I love horse meat. It is so tender and delicious. The horse here was unlike the horse I ate in Mongolia. Mongolians eat their horse cooked. Jejuians, like theirs raw. We ordered a set menu with a few different courses. The first course was thinly sliced raw meat. Quite tasty. The meat just melted in my mouth. So so good. The second course was a almost a ground meat, more stringy than ground. It was piled on a plate with a raw egg on top. It was drizzled with sesame oil and radish strips. Probably the best tasting part of the meal. The third part of the meal, I could have done without. It was steamed intestine. Intestine is something I have never enjoyed. It just has a strange flavor and texture. The next part of the meal was thin strips cooked on a hot stone. Also very good. The final course was a horse dumpling soup. Nice! The only other part of the meal was a tea that was made with the blood. At least that is what I think it was. That was.........ok.

Last weekend was a 3 day weekend, thanks to Memorial Day. I decided I needed a break from my island, and journeyed up to the mainland for a little break. So I went and visited some of my friends from orientation that live in Busan, just a short 45 min plane ride away.

I arrive Friday around 10. I go and ask for the bus to Busan and next thing I know it is an hour later. It should have been about 30 minutes to my friends house and I jump off the bus and have to hire a taxi. This was the wrong bus. It took me well out of my way. So this trip into the city that should not have cost me more than 7 dollars is now around 50, thanks to the fuckin Korean lady who was helping me. I arrive at my friends place and immediately take off for a baseball game. Korean Baseball is an experience. It was a holiday and they over booked the stadium. Standing room only. Not the best way to watch a game. But anyway, they chant all the time. Each player has their own chant. They put curses on the opposing teams pitchers Almost everyone in the stands had a pompom made out of newspaper. They are nuts. Everyone cheering in time. Busan was down from the first inning. I guess they aren't that great, but they made a small rally. That is when the orange plastic bags were brought out. They are filled with air and placed on top of the head. Strange rally caps, but when in Korea.

Following the game, we went back to my friends for a few drinks before heading out. Whilst in the city we decided to hit up this place called Dr. Fish. No not a restaurant. It is a place with fish baths. Basically these fish eat the dead skin off of your feet. Kinda tickled, but it makes the feet nice and soft. One of my friends decided to eat one of the fish for about $10. Kinda gross. Afterwords we went to a bar on the beach.

Saturday was spent shopping and sleeping, before going out for Marnie's birthday. We started with a tasty meal of spicy chicken. Following that we went to Fuzzy's We spent most of the night there. They had a fire show. I will try to upload the video, if I can. There we drank and danced on and behind the bar. Good good times. Following that we went to a club. The club sucked. Couldn't move, couldn't dance. So we didn't stay long. On the way to the next bar, Jason and John decided to wrestle. Jason is a big guy, strong big. He is a Maurrie, from New Zealand. If you watch Rugby and the All Blacks, they are the big fuckers. They look like muscular Samoans. They are going at it and somehow I get involved. Jason goes for a choke hold on me, and I manage to spin out of it and put him in one. Thinking he is going to tap out, I don't let up. Yeah he didn't tap out and I choked him out. I let up and his eyes are rolling in the back of his head. He came to in about 30 seconds and wanted to continue. But that was the last of it for John and me. Freaky freaky shit.

We had another drink at the beach bar and decided to call it a night, or morning as the case may be. John and I went out for breakfast and then called it. I woke up just in time to have a shower and head to the airport for the end of my weekend. Overall it was much needed and enjoyable. It is just taking me days to recover from it. I am not a young'n anymore.

No comments: