Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Teaching and the like

I am now about 3 weeks into teaching at my new center. It is going pretty well. I have 3 classes a day, 4 days a week. I have my Mondays to plan. So they are my favorite day. That's right I like Mondays. My 3 classes are E1, or Elementary 1, E3 and M1, middle school 1. My E1 and E3 classes are great. Easy classes to teach and a lot of fun.

I have noticed a design flaw in my room. The chairs are way too big for most of my students, and they are on wheels. Who ever decided to get chairs with wheels for kids was an idiot and should die a slow painful death. They spend more time rolling around on them than sitting still. That is why they all sit on the floor now. No more bumper chairs.

My M1 class is probably the hardest to teach. They are of different levels. Well there are only 3 that usually show up. Two are smart and have a decent grasp of English. The other has minimal English. So they are hard to plan for. The class is a bit sporadic. Some days I will get only the 3 others up to 10. When there is only 3 kids, it is a difficult class. I run out of things to do with them. I go through my material so much faster.

My job also entails that I teach a simulation lab, or sim lab. Being a camp counselor was a big help in this area of my job. Being loud and stupid really gets the kids motivated. My center has a airport, airplane, restaurant, park, hotel, doctor's office, book store and a department store in it. I take the kids through the airport, airplane and the restaurant. It's not too bad. 20 minutes for those 3 sections and then I pass them on to the other teacher here. The airport they get to go through Immigration and then they go to the airplane where they basically learn some new vocab. The hardest part of that is getting to say seat. When they say it, it comes out as shit. So it is a shit, and a shit belt. Funny for me though. After that, security. There is an x-ray machine. Well it is just a conveyor belt with a box over it. They get to put bags through it. The younger kids get to go through it. They get a kick out of it.

The restaurant is just chaos. I get the kids screaming. I WANNA CORN DOG!! Basically I have them name off all the fake food we have. But they are usually so quiet, I have to get them yelling. Which entails me yelling. So by the end of the day my throat is a little hoarse. They take turns being costumers and clerks. By then it is time for them to go. Easy easy work. It just gets to be a bit repetitive.

No comments: